top of page

Showtime Vs. Tom Terrific

  • February 17, 2021 

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 1.17.50 AM.png

On February 7th, 2021 Super Bowl LV was broadcasted on CBS. You may be curious as to how the Chiefs and Bucs fought long and hard to get to this year’s Super Bowl game. Well, look no further, for the next couple of minutes come along and read a little about both of the teams, find out an interesting fact which could give one of the teams an advantage, Gahr students' predictions about who will win, and more. 


The Kansas City Chiefs came into the season as Super Bowl LIV champs. Quarterback Patrick Mahomes, the reigning Super Bowl MVP, knew what was at stake as he began the season. Mahomes gladly threw a spiral pass, his strong sidearm throw, to teammates like Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, and Le’Veon Bell. He used his offensive skills quite well. Despite injuries, constant Covid-19 rescheduling of games, and players not being available to play due to covid, the Chiefs ended the season with a record of 14-2, topping the AFC. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 1.16.27 AM.png

Meanwhile, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were heading into the new season with free agent Tom Brady as their quarterback and tight end, Rob Gronkowski, who came out of retirement to play another season. The two players have a  teammate bond of nearly an entire decade with the New England Patriots. With the Patriots, the offensive teammates were able to win 3 Super Bowl rings. The question remained if the veteran quarterback, Tom Brady, could lead a new team to their first Super Bowl since 2003. “Tom Terrific” did do it again! Surrounded by a wealth of talent, he led his NFC team to the Super Bowl in just one season.

The Bucs will be having a home field advantage. For the first time in NFL history a team will be playing on their home field, with their own fans and own locker room This could be a huge benefit for the Buccaneers. When asked who he thinks will win the big game and why, senior Temoc Landin replied, “Tom Brady and Gronk have more experience in this stage then Mahomes and Hill. Plus Tampa Bay is going to have [a] home field advantage.” 


Other students like freshman Joshua Espinoza, believe Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs will win. “I think the formula to beating Tom Brady is simple but extremely difficult. All the Chiefs have to do is to put a lot of pressure on Brady. Brady this year has done well throwing the deep ball as he led the NFL. The problem comes when the Chiefs are one of the best teams at stopping the deep ball. They held quarterbacks to a 63.6 QB rating which is more than 30 points lower than the NFL average. Also working in the Chief´s favor is that in his career, Mahomes’ and the Chiefs have averaged 33.3 points per game when playing a team for the second time. Kansas City is going to score a lot of points and I do not think the Buccaneers have enough to compete with them. The Chiefs will be the NFL's first repeat champion in 16 years.” When asked if he was surprised that Tom Brady would be taking his team to the Super Bowl after just one season, senior safety on Gahr’s football team, Sean Harbin, commented, “it’s not shocking because he has a super team surrounding him. Everyone knew that this was going to happen because of the team he had around him. This was by far the best team he's had in all the seasons he's played.” Although he has respect for what Tom Brady can do on the field, he is very confident that the Chiefs will be taking home the victory.

In a survey given to several of our Gahr students, we have an interesting prediction. First, we have the AFC Champions, the Kansas City Chiefs who are taking  47% of the vote. Leaving the remaining 53% with a vote for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 1.24.51 AM.png
bottom of page